As you probably know, we’ve been working for a while to update the Find a Grave edit system. We’ve just released an update to the site that brings the latest changes to all memorials on the site and updates pages where you process edits that have been suggested to memorials you manage.
A lot of the important work for these updates is behind the scenes to modernize the code, but it has allowed us to make some nice updates to the process now and will make it easier for us to improve the edit process in the future.
Some improvements you may notice with this change include:
• The ability to suggest edits for all fields, including Bios and Burial Details.
• The option to add a note explaining and providing support for the edits you are suggesting.
• A way to mark the memorial of a veteran.
• An option for members to mark (or suggest that a memorial page be marked) as a Cenotaph or Monument (formerly Memorial Site) without contacting support. To see these options, click “Additional grave marker options” just below Gravesite Details.
• A cancel option on the Suggest Edits page, so that if you change your mind or make a mistake, you can easily cancel a suggestion you have made there before the manager processes it.
• An edit in one field will no longer lock related fields. (Notice the name fields in the image above)
These updates will make it easier to suggest edits, but we know there will still be reasons to contact a manager, so we’ve added a “Contact manager” option that lets you send them a message.
We’ve also made important updates to the Suggested Edits page where you process edits suggested for memorial pages you manage. These changes support the new edit options, simplify the processing of edits and include:
• Options to accept or decline individual parts of a suggested edit.
• A comparison tool for reviewing edits suggested for long text fields like the bio and inscription. This tool includes some different viewing options to help you evaluate the changes and color choices for people with different viewing abilities. You can also edit longer text suggestions in this tool before accepting it by clicking the “Modify” button.
• A quick view of the main grave photo to help you review suggestions. You’ll find the preview by clicking the thumbnail image on the left of the suggested edit.
• Improved search, grouping and sorting options for edits.
You can learn more about suggesting edits from these articles on our support site:
- Suggest Edits and Community Interaction
- Processing Suggested Edits
- Suggest Edits
- Sending Suggest Edits and Notes
This has been a big project and we really appreciate the help of everyone who has given us feedback, helped with testing new ideas or pitched in in any way. We hope you’ll find these updates helpful. If you have feedback or suggestions, please leave a comment on this page.